Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Fond Memories



 You can tell in our house when the Christmas season is upon us by the cookies that are being baked in the kitchen. This one is only made at Christmas time and comes down through my husband's family in a cookbook that I now own from 1946. I am not fond of coloured cherries and prefer my shortbread plain jane but once a year I make them like this for Peter....They do look pretty though! They bring fond memories of those now gone sitting around the kitchen table decorating these little cookies.
You can print the recipe from my website under "In the Pantry".

SCOTTISH SHORTBREAD


1 cup butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

BUTTER ICING

1/3 cup butter
3 cups icing sugar
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp milk

Mixing Instructions:
Cream butter and add sugar gradually. Add the sifted flour,baking powder and salt slowly to the creamed mixture.
Roll 1/3 inch thick then use a cookie cutter of your choice. I like to keep it simple with a round one (1-1/4"). Prick with fork and decorate if desired. I do the decorating after they are baked. Bake 15-20 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Watch the time carefully as it will vary depending upon the size of the cookie cutter you chose. Or bake until lightly browned. Makes a minimum of 24 cookies.

To Make Butter Icing:
Blend butter and icing sugar. Combine milk and vanilla and gradually add to butter and icing sugar. You can add flavourings, like almond, lemon etc.
Decorate the cookies with the icing and a piece of coloured cherry. I am not a candied cherry person but there are some in the family who love them. You can sub with an almond or any other nut.

Enjoy!

No comments: