Monday, September 1, 2008

Rainbow of Colour



Yesterday I spent the day in my dye pots with my wool threads. It takes me awhile to get going but once I do I can't seem to stop. when my back starts aching I know I have reached my limit. It was a perfect day - to hang out the dripping threads...aged red, aged black, blackeyed susan, bee skep, Queen Anne's lace, lupine fields, pine needles and early settler's blue. The only thing you have to watch is not to get them tangled - my pine green was so intertwined that it took me an hour of patience to get it untangled. I thought I had perfected a method but I guess not.


I have been watching Gustav's approach to the US coast. I am sure it is terrifying for the people fleeing and also wondering if their homes will be there when they can return. I can't even begin to imagine what they are thinking. I would much rather deal with my foot snowfalls, we don't have hurricanes or tornados here. As I watch - it is a good opportunity for me to catch up on some punch needle. I am finishing up my next pattern - it is a bigger piece than I usually do - so lengthy to punch but challenging too in the colour choices.

Made one of my original pieces called Meadow Sheep into a pin keep and have that for sale on Lemon Poppy Seeds along with a doll that I made a couple of years ago and can now part with - MS Pear (pattern by Folkart by the Bay). If you love the extreme primitive look - than this is for you - all kinds of items to drool over on that site.

You will soon be seeing me on Primitive Gatherings - a new group of primitive artists I will be joining on October 15th. Please drop in on some very talented artists!

Working on a new idea which will combine mixed media - should be interesting if I don't flub it - but hey that is being creative. Just gathering my materials - too many ideas and not enough time. Oh the days I can devote to just creating will be the day I will be doing the really happy dance.

Been busy all morning - and I forget to eat - not that I can't lose a few pounds :) but it makes what I am going to eat so much sweeter. A really simple thing - toasted tomato sandwich but oh so yummy with those nice big field tomatoes, a slice of red onion, secret spices :), and Hellman's mayonnaise slapped on wonderful 9- grain bread. My mouth is watering - off I go. G'day..

6 comments:

SweetAnnee said...

Oh I sure love that rainbow..I'm a textile NUT!!

Your creations are great!!

deena

Susan said...

Beautiful colours with lovely Island names. Tomato sandwich sounded yummy.
Sounds like you're enjoying your little holiday. xo, S.

La Donna Welter said...

Hi Joni!
I stopped by to tell you that you have received the "Primitive Excellence Award"!
Please stop by my blog for more details!
Blessings,
La Donna Welter
Papercutting
http://ladonnawelter.blogspot.com

Eleanor said...

Those colourful skeins of wool are wonderful. And I love the photo of Roby. Enjoy your tomato sandwich. That is one of favourite comfort foods with lots of black pepper and well salted, a dash of mayo and unhealthy but delicious white bread. Go well Eleanor

BeFRuiTFuL KReaTioNS said...

Just look at the gorgeous colors. That just brightened. I have enjoyed your blog photos this morning. I added you to my favorites today.

Blessings JoEllen

La Donna Welter said...

Joni,
It was a privilege to give you the award. I have been a fan of your work for quite awhile!
My blog was designed by Alice of Painted White, you may visit her here: http://www.paintedwhite.com
La Donna