Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Settling in for the Winter

Roby loved the snow - look at that fur - no wonder!
Time to settle into the winter activities and no it is not skiing or trekking on skis through powdery snow (although very pretty). Done all that! Nowadays I am rug hooking, reading, dyeing wool and baking.  Our winter so far is not looking like the above picture. I can actually see green grass. Now we were hoping for a white Christmas which we got - very pretty large flakes. It has mostly melted and we are having a bit of a deep freeze. I am ok with cold though. I prefer cold to heat any day. I have come to the inevitable conclusion - I am a winter person. Perhaps I am a winter person because I can get out of the cold and seek shelter in my warm snug house. Maybe if I did not have that escape I would not be a winter person. But I am...I love the calm and peace of winter, the quiet, the light and the sparkle of snowflakes. I like that everything looks clean and is sleeping to be reborn in the spring. Yes - I am a winter person.


 One of my favourite rugs by Deanne Fitzpatrick. I love the winter clothes the people are wearing (so typical in our cold climate) and the gently falling snow. I would be the lady in the red coat and the pink hat. Ok so I don't wear pink as a rule but I love a good dull looking pink, which is what I had in the dye pots yesterday. Oh so pretty - Antique Pink Posey! Threw in some textures to overdye and yes maybe I will use them in the rug I am going to do next.. 


Oh yes a pretty pink skirt with a matching pink hat.......

Karla Gerard - available at Fully Wooly Primitives

or maybe I will do the sky a mottled pink and grey - who says we need realism. Be creative - Think outside the box. I think that will be my credo this year.. take it one step further and then another.....and then oh my you will have something that says "This is me"....
G'nite...Joni


1 comment:

moosecraft said...

That's a great picture of Robi! We had big snows like that last winter... so far it has been quiet (and this is good for me) lol! I can manage winter with indoor projects, but, I prefer Spring and Autumn. If there ever is such a thing as perfect pink... I believe you just dyed it! Beautiful woolens! Nice pattern too....