Sunday, January 8, 2012

Winter Days


If you have read some of my blogs in the past you know that I am a fall/winter person. On that theme I came across this blog Island Sweet who recommended this book. She lives on The Rock (Newfoundland) and their winters are long and can be pretty severe. First off, the cover caught my eye - looks like it could be a rug! Then I went in search of the book on Amazon, downloaded the first few pages and was hooked. Now I don't usually read much non-fiction, (except art books and cookbooks) but I must say this one is thoroughly enjoyable. Makes me appreciate winter all the more! You can find the book by Adam Gopnik on Amazon. The book consists of five essays - romantic winter, radical winter, recuperative winter, recreational winter and remembering winter.

" A mind of winter, a mind for winter, not sensing the season as a loss of warmth and light, and with them hope of life and divinity, but ready to respond to it as a positive, and even purifying, presence of something else - the beautiful and the peaceful, yes, but also the mysterious, the strange , the sublime- is a modern taste."  Adam Gopnik - Winter 


 I am not a sporty outdoor person in the winter. I do like my walks and sitting outside in the sun on a beautiful afternoon but I prefer my creature comforts and I am all for hibernating. That means I cruise the internet more and hence my new found love - Pinterest. It is a great tool for cataloging ideas, inspirations or anything that has a photograph attached to it. I joined about a month ago and have boards dedicated to rug hooking, knitting, crochet, cupcakes, fur babies - let's just say there are 39 of them and they keep growing. All your followers, get to enjoy your photos and vice versa for those you follow. There is a wealth of information on this site. Here are examples of some of the photographs I have collected in my fur babies board. Too cute to pass up. Now these are snow babies!




If anyone is interested in joining PINTEREST I can send you an invite. Just e-mail me.
Winter beauty.....



and.... since it was snowing today - well a few snowflakes - I got the baking pans out and whipped up this yummy golden vanilla pound cake which is a King Arthur Flour recipe. I added a raspberry coulis. I like baking on a Sunday. Have a great evening ... Joni


1 comment:

moosecraft said...

The cover certainly would make a great rug! I'm doing better with winter this year than in year's past. I think it's because I'm choosing a "keep busy until Spring arrives" attitude! lol! Pinterest looks like fun... but, I'm not a facebook-er...so they won't let me in... boo-hoo... lol!