Saturday, May 23, 2009

Definition of Happy!



A very glorious 10 days in Maine by the ocean with Mom. Just got home - and the holiday was so relaxing..it was perfect - sun , great companionship, and lots of fresh seafood....needed it after a very hectic year of turbulent changes. I will be posting pictures tomorrow.

On my way to Maine I discovered a wonderful new place to visit in Vermont,which is inspiring me to knit - knit - knit! Kaleidoscope Yarns in Essex Junction, Vermont. They have a great website with mail order .... Just loved that store - went twice and won't be my last.

The wools these days are so delicious in colour. I love all the hand dyed ones - being a hand dyeing kind of girl. I picked up some new colours to be knitted into socks for gifts that Santa will bring to some of my favourite people. Sprinkle in a couple hundred beads and they will be picture perfect - beads and knitting - my new favourite thing. No I have not given up my rug hooking or punch needle (working on finishing a sampler for Pfatt in our Halloween themed June) but knitting is filling in a space I needed of pretty but practical. What can one say to knitted shawls and socks - a necessity for our cold climes and this gal loves her fall/winter season. Even more so with a lovely textured shawl and some sparkly colour on her tootsies!



My newest punch needle pincushion was available on TDIPT Mercantile this month but has been sold. Here is a picture of it based on an Americana theme for May. This was a departure for me - being Canadian - and I puzzled over what to do for this theme. Then it hit me just stick to the colours - so brought out my primitive palette of hand dyed wools in old blue paint, morning fog and barn red and came up with this pincushion. They are punch needled hearts appliqued on a wool background and then overlayed with more wool - I do love my wool!

Another happiness today was coming home - always nice to go on holidays but it is especially nice to come home. Hubby and Roby greeted me at the door. Poor Roby I always have a hard time leaving him as I am sure he does not think I am coming back. It was not his usual barking of "oh Mommy you are home from work - now feed me" this was a plaintive crying "Where did you go for sooooo long" Now he is fast asleep with one ear to the ground to make sure I am within his sight and hearing - oh dear they are such wonderful friends. Peter is glad I am home for the company and to take over Roby's routine. He gets a good night sleep!

That is happiness - loved ones and sweet homecomings.
Good nite all - Joni



1 comment:

Jamie Lott said...

I'm glad you had a great tip and a restful holiday. I can't wait to see your pics. The knitted socks sound lovely....what lucky "favorite" they are!

Jamie