Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's Been Awhile


I have been missing in action on this blog for two months. Got back from Maine (where we had a lovely holiday by the beach) and got called to the hospital for surgery. It's been a bit of a recovery, with doing very little. To top it off I came down with some kind of virus and that had me down for the count. So hopefully I will be back creating and blogging next week.

One thing I did do was make some pots of soup. One of my favourites being, leeks and potatoes. Soup seems to be my comfort food. Although we were in the midst of a heat wave - the state I was in called for a nice healthy soup as my food blankie.

2 leeks (washed and chopped)
3 potatoes (diced)
1 onion

Saute leeks and onions in 1-2 TBSP butter for about 5-10 minutes on medium heat.
Add potatoes and saute for a few minutes.
I use commercial low salt chicken broth, but if you make your own - great. I use what is quick and on hand.
Pour in about 6-8 cups - depends how thick you like your soup.
Add some sage and pepper to taste. I also put in a little sweet smoky paprika. Simmer for an hour or so.
Serve.
I rarely use recipes when making soup - usually it is what I have on hand and herbs/spices are added depending upon the mood I am in.:)

I did work on one project  - a wool applique kit by Primitive Gatherings. Needed something simple and not too demanding. Everything is provided and all you do is cut and sew. I had not done one before and since I am selling them on my website - I thought I would try one out. This one is called Redware Crow. Here are the materials provided in the kit. The reason I chose Primitive Gatherings is because I loved the wool colours they dye. It is so much like my own dyes that I thought it would be a great fit. As soon as I got the kits I knew it was perfect - they are saturated with colour and look so primitive!





This is the completed piece.



The next one I think I will try is called Prairie Rose and is available on my website under Wool Applique.. along with some more of their wonderful kits. If you are looking for a fast - easy project I have decided Wool Applique is the way to go.
Have a great evening! Joni

1 comment:

moosecraft said...

Glad you are back... and glad you have recovered from your surgery! Hope it wasn't anything too serious... Soup is the BEST food... no matter what time of year. I have a cup of soup with a small sandwich for lunch every day and never tire of it. Thanks for this simple recipe! LOVE the wool applique... if I lived closer to Primitive Gatherings... I'd be broke... "scraping the bottom of the barrel for a penny broke"... lol! Their stuff is GREAT! :-)